Sunday, May 22, 2011

spring green

There is nothing I love more than the new green on the trees and the color of new spring grass before it's been mowed the first time. All the rain this year has made everything extra green, and when the sun finally breaks out it is truly glorious. I remember years ago when I was working on the cruise ship with people from New York City, and one particular guy from Cincinnati who said all he needed was to live in an apartment with a coffee shop down stairs so he could to go down to the coffee shop every morning and then ride the subway to work. I tried to explain to him about the beauty of the Grand Canyon, and Zions National Park. He didn't get it. I asked if he had ever seen something so amazing that it took his breath away. He couldn't relate. We tried to discuss the phrase "take your breath away". I tried to explain the rush you feel when you see something majestic. Blank stare.

The beauty of the sun shining through the new green leaves is enough to bring joy to my heart. Every spring it is the same, I am reminded that spring green is my favorite color.

I am grateful to my grandfather for his love of the mountains and rivers, and the many family camping trips we made with him. One of my favorite childhood memories was of feeding the chipmunks on the woodpile. Year after year they would be there, and as a small child I was so fascinated by them.

I love raspberries because of my grandfather's garden, and canned raspberries are like a delicacy to me, a memory that is a gift my grandmother gave me.

The smell of sagebrush, and the new green on the rabbit brush is part of my heritage, something deep within my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment