Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Nine random obscurities


Tagged?! Okay, so here we go. Seven unusual and mostly unknown random things about me.
1. I don't like chocolate. Well, okay, I eat it, especially if it is watered down, you know not so chocolaty. I never choose chocolate ice cream. I like mint Oreo. If I had to choose between a Hershey's kiss and a snickers, I'd definitely go for the snickers. But all this hype about chocolate...I just don't get it. Don't buy ME chocolate for Valentines Day. I want flowers.
2. I can't live without spell check. The days before it existed were sad days indeed. Ask anyone who has ever received a handwritten letter from me. The funny thing is one time while in college and looking for a job, probably while I was still a freshman, I went into to take a test to see if I could get a part time job as an editor. HA...what a laugh.
3. I have an Idaho accent, or so I am told. Once I was at a store, while we were living in Columbus Georgia, and the guy at the counter, looked at me and asked,"Are you from Idaho?" Totally puzzled I said no, and he explained that he had a friend from Idaho and I talked just like her.
4. I have a favorite picture of my Grandma Donna that was given to me shortly after she passed away. It is of her in her "sheep camp" days and she is sitting on a horse looking very much like a cowgirl. Not anything like the grandma I knew.
5. My favorite cartoon character is Bartok the bat from Anastasia. "I'd geev her a HA, a HI YA, and a OOOO AH, and I'd keek, sir"

6. My mother likes peanut butter and mayo sandwiches. I prefer peanut butter and bananas.


7. I'm not very good at family traditions. We have a few. The one that stands out the most is conference. I love conference. I learned that love from my mother. I remember listening it as a child, in the fall. Mom would be working in the kitchen, canning apples, and listening to the Saturday sessions of conference on the radio. The apples came off the big tree outside the back door. We lived in Logan, Utah and you could get conference on the radio there. When we moved to Princeton we couldn't listen to General Conference, but in California sometimes some of the sessions were available on the radio, but mostly we could only get the Sunday morning session. Sometimes it was on the TV. I remember Mom would tell us to get something quiet to do while we watched it. I learned the habit of doing needle work while I listened, which I carried with me for many years. But when I think about doing something while watching conference, my strongest memory was of the time I chose to paint my nails, and I remember I did my toes, too and I have no idea why that was such a favorite memory. When they were little I always took my kids to all four sessions of conference. They sometimes took crayons and colored pencils, and sometimes took toys. There were years when they did conference bingo, or board games. There were certainly years when I am sure we scared all of the old ladies out of the RS room because we were making so much noise. Now everyone is much more sedate. They usually all take some paper and pencil to draw pictures, and amazingly they all take notes. This last time Nathan took a nap on the bench.
I'm on a roll.
8. I am not a sports person. I can sit through a game, but usually I have to asked the person next to me what just happened or why that call was made. But I love dance. I love watching my daughters dance classes. Even thought they are only practice I feel slighted if I can't see.

Which brings me to
9. Lisa and I are very much a like. Well maybe not really, but I see myself in her so much. She outwardly expresses all the things that I never would say. I must look at her and smile and nod my head sometimes. Of course her response, "What?"
"Oh, nothing you just remind me of myself."

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you did that post! I learned all sorts of stuff about you! Fun! We have to get your sis on here!

    ReplyDelete