Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Carmel Apples

Last night for Family Home Evening we made carmel apples. We made the carmel using the recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens: New Cook Book. (published some thirty year ago, given to me by my Aunt Judy for our wedding, which has really taken a beating, with pages coming out and tabs broken off, and the cover discolored.) The carmel took twenty minutes of stirring. Everybody shared the stirring responsibility, and when not stirring they were washing apples, taking stickers off, and putting the sticks in them. Then we dipped them and stood around twisting them until the carmel was cool enough that it wouldn't slide off. It was a fun activity; one that I have put off for a very long time. I have often told my children of when I was little and we used to make carmel apples. Back then we used the jonathan apples from the tree we had in the yard, when we we living in Logan. The apples were smaller so we had more carmel per apple, and of course I liked it much better. Almost every fall when the apples get ripe, I tell the story and say "we're going to make some this year", but have never gotten to it. Finally, since Lisa has had her braces off, we did it for her.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous, I wish I could have been there. Carmel is my favorite. In fact last night I was eating an apple and told Zech it needed some carmel. How fun!

    ReplyDelete