They say that if the first frost doesn't come with the full moon in Sept. then there won't be a frost until the next full moon in October. That means we will have another month of growing season, or at least the tomatoes will keep growing for another month. The broccoli doesn't seem to care about frost, it just grows and grows and keeps on growing!
The sunflowers are taller than our giant fence, and the heads are so heavy I have propped them up hoping they will not come tumbling down.
The yellow jackets still rule the strawberry patch. Although their numbers that been cut in half. I will be sure to get started controlling them earlier next year. They may have won this year, but next year is mine.

I can't figure out when to harvest my eggplant. It's the first time I've ever grown them. I don't know how big they are suppose to get? They are not as big the ones in the store, and they are not the same color.
The lettuce and spinach have been keeping us in salad for a while already. It is probably time to start planting a planter in the house so I can have a winter harvest.
The squash got planted late it will need the extra month to grow. I will be very pleased if this little green pumpkin that is growing can really grow to be a jack-o-lantern. There is also potatoes, corn, green beans, onions, carrots and beets ready to be harvested.
Our first frost was Sept. 15, 29 degrees F. We were expecting it. We covered the tomatoes and saved them. The squash plants froze. My pumpkins are still green, and most of the acorn squash wasn't ready yet. The squash plants were laughable to look at. Hard strong stocks sticking up with wilted cooked spinach leaves drooping from them.
ReplyDeleteOur second frost was Sept. 28, 28 degrees. The tomatoes didn't make it. At least we know broccoli will go on for a long time.